I have to say feijoas would be up there as one of my favourite fruits! Most Kiwi’s have there own (or a close neighbour) that has a feijoa tree. When they are in season (April-May), don’t waste them! Stew them up and have for dessert everynight with yoghurt or freeze for future use. I create this simple crumble as I love apple crumble so tried it with feijoas as well and it tasted amazing!
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 10-15 medium feijoas, halved with flesh scooped out
- 2 red apples, sliced into small chunks
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 125gm butter, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup toasted muesli or oats
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Place fejioa flesh, apples and cinnamon into a sauce pan over medium heat and cook for approx 4-5 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven on fan bake at 180 ºC. Pre-line a round cake or quiche tin or spray with olive oil.
- Place the feijoa and apples into the cake tin.
- Place butter, almond meal and oats into a bowl and mix to combine with your hands. Rub the butter in with the almond meal and oats. You may need to add more almond meal (depending on the consistency). Scatter mixture over the top of the feijoa/ apples. I sprinkled some more oats on the top (approx 1/4 cup). Lastly, sprinkle chocolate chips on the top.
- Place in oven for approx 25-30minutes until the top is nice and crispy. Serve with a dollop of coconut or greek yoghurt.