Who doesn’t enjoy a big bowl of creamy pumpkin soup? Great winter dish and will fill you up leaving you feeling satisfied. This one is an absolute basic and you can take it wherever you want with more spices, more ingredients and lovely toppings. Speaking of which, don’t forget to make the most of your pumpkin by roasting the seeds they make a great topping for this soup and are packed full of Omega-3, fibre and zinc for immune support.
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
- 30g butter or 2 tbsp olive oil
- 700g pumpkin, cut into pieces peeled
- 700g kumara, peeled quartered
- 3 brown onions, sliced
- 2 tsp chicken stock powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- approx 2 litres of water
- 1 tsp pepper to taste
- Cream to serve
- Heat a fry pan over medium heat with a knob of butter or olive oil. Add the sliced onions and cook until caramelised.
- Place the onions, pumpkin, kumara, curry powder chicken stock and water into the slow cooker and cook on low for approx. 2 hours (until pumpkin cooked) or just simmer on a stove top for 60 mins. The key is to add as much water as you need to cover the vegetables (so could be more or less then 2 litres).
- When cooked, blend with a stick blender and season to taste. Serve with a dash of cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.