This recipe is easy to master and is a great vegetarian option and full of fibre, protein and flavour! The raw beetroot give them a deep magenta hue that makes them irresistibly beautiful. Serve in a wholemeal or paleo bun or in between two eggplants like I did!
Ingredients (makes 8-9 patties)
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 large red onion (finely diced)
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 pinch each salt & pepper
- 1 can black beans (well rinsed and drained)
- 1.5 cups finely grated raw beet
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ~1/2 cup almond meal
Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add some olive oil or a little bit of butter. Once hot add the onion and sauté, seasoning with a pinch each salt and pepper.
When the onions are soft – about 5 minutes – turn up the heat to medium and add the mushrooms. Season with another pinch of salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms and onions are slightly browned and fragrant – about 3 minutes.
- Mash the black beans with a fork.
- Transfer the onions/ mushrooms into a bowl and add the beans, egg, spices, quinoa, beetroot, slowly add the almond meal and mix in when mixture is sufficient enough to turn into patties.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan with some olive or coconut oil over medium heat. Shape the patties and cook for 5 minutes each side.
- Serve on small buns and top with greens, mustard, tomatoes, gherkins and some stir-fried vegetables on the side. Garnish with some coriander.